As people age, various skin conditions might develop. Such skin conditions can cause discoloration and texture differences. It can happen in any body area but is most common on the legs, ankles, and feet. Instead of just hiding the legs under pants or long skirts, there are treatments available. Laser skin treatment is a fast and effective treatment that can reduce discoloration.
The leg’s skin discoloration is a condition, which is most generally known as venous insufficiency. The one-way valves in the veins have weakened due to age, injury, or stress and cannot adequately circulate the blood back to the heart. Blood then collects in the lower legs resulting in skin discoloration.
What Causes the Skin Discoloration?
When blood is not freely circulating, it pools, creating pressure inside the veins, which then begin to leak. The leaking blood causes inflammation and irritation in the surrounding area resulting in pain and color changes. This stagnant blood leaches iron into the skin. As the iron breaks down, it turns the skin brown.
What are the Symptoms of Venous Insufficiency?
Other than discoloration, several skin conditions can develop in patients with poor circulation. Here are the names and symptoms of those conditions.
- Venous Stasis Dermatitis. This condition is also called venous eczema. The skin is irritated, dry, itchy, cracked, and swollen. In severe cases, the skin becomes thick and dark. This condition usually occurs in the lower legs.
- Hemosiderin Deposits. These are the broken-down iron deposits from the stagnant blood. The skin can look purple or brown bruises on the legs, ankles, and feet.
- Varicose Veins. These bulging, swollen veins have a bluish-purple or red color. The area around the vein can also be discolored due to blood leakage. Varicose veins can also be painful.
- Spider Veins. These tiny veins have a web-like appearance just under the skin’s surface. It can be red, purple, or blue. Although the skin is discolored, these veins are painless.
- Skin Ulcers. Open wounds can develop on the skin due to poor circulation. These sores heal slowly. These are especially problematic for people with Diabetes.
Treatments for Leg Discoloration
The treatment for leg discoloration exists, but one needs to identify the reason behind it. Treating the underlying condition causing the venous insufficiency (i.e., high blood pressure) will give the best long-term results. A person should get in touch with a medical practitioner as soon as they notice a change in skin color or texture. Once that is taken care of, the cosmetic treatment can be done.
Laser Vein Therapy
Laser Vein Therapy works wonders for varicose and leaking veins. This laser treatment closes and shrinks the bulging vein. Scar tissue develops in the vein sealing it off, and blood redirects through other nearby veins. The now sealed vein is reabsorbed into the body and disappears in 4-6 weeks, leaving clear and youthful-looking skin.
Nirvelli Med Spa & Laser
Are you experiencing discoloration in your legs? Nirvelli Med Spa & Laser can help restore those legs into beautiful clear skin by summer – just in time for shorts and swimsuits. Give us a call at 919-297-0107 and schedule your laser skin treatment today.