How to Stretch at Your Desk Job
You may think that work-related injuries or chronic pain are more common in people that do heavy-manufacturing or construction. But, on the contrary, research has also shown that repetitive motion, poor posture and staying in the same position, common in office-related work environments can cause or worsen musculoskeletal disorders. This situation has been aggravated by the fact that a majority of the working population is gravitating towards desk jobs and away from more labor intensive jobs. Some of the health issues associated with desk jobs include:
-Lower Back Pain
-Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
The statistics are alarming at times, but this does not mean that you should go quit your job right this instant. Here are ways that we at Nirvelli day spa advocate for to help you stretch at your desk job.
Stretch out your arms with the following exercises:
- Triceps stretches which are done by simple raising and bending your arm to reach toward the opposite side and using the other hand to pull the elbow toward your head
- Overhead reach which involves extending each arm overhead and reaching for the opposite side.
- Upper body and arm stretch. With this exercise, clasp your hands together above your head and your palms facing outward. While stretching upward, push your arms up.
Stretching Out Your Torso
- Shoulder stretch. Do this exercise by clasping your hands behind your back then outwardly pushing your chest, pulling your arms back.
- Forward stretch is the opposite of the shoulder stretch. Clasp your hands in front and lower your head in line with your arms.
- Trunk rotation. While keeping your feet firmly on the ground, begin by facing forward and twisting your upper body in the direction of the arm resting on the back of the chair.
Stretching Out Your Legs and Knees
- Hip and knee flexion stretch. To effectively do this exercise, hug one knee at a time and pull it towards your chest. Alternate.
- Hamstrings stretch. While seated, extend one leg outward and reach toward your toes. Do this one leg at a time.
Head and Shoulder Stretches
- Shoulder shrug. Raise both your shoulders at once towards your ears and drop them.
- Neck stretches. Staring at a screen all day can get exhausting for your neck. Relax your neck. Lean forward and slowly roll toward one side. Repeat the exercise on the other side.
- Upper trap stretch. In a gentle manner, pull your head toward each shoulder till you feel a light stretch.
There are other ways that you can squeeze more activity in your day:
-Standing up when on the phone
-Working from a flexible desk to possibly change your position
-Walking laps when you have quick meetings
-Walking around the office after every hour
There are times when the fatigue and pain gets unbearable. Massage therapy is the perfect treatment for such things. Nirvelli day spa is the best place for you to receive rejuvenating massage therapy that will leave your body feeling brand new. Furthermore, at Nirvelli, free advice is given to clients on how they can best take care of their bodies even with demanding jobs.
It is important to stretch at work because even the minute physical activities can significantly improve your mood and make you more productive. Your coworkers may wonder what you’re doing, tell them! You just may really help them out by getting them out of their chairs. Contact us over at Nirvelli Day Spa, we’ll see what else we can do to keep you feeling good!
So, regardless of what may your biggest ailments may be, a massage from the great team over at Nirvelli Day Spa in Cary NC could be just the solution for you. It may be the thing you need to help you get through some of those harder days. Contact them anytime and see how much they can offer you! (919)-297-0107.